|March 09, 2010|
|Motor-Assisted Bicycles with Enhanced Assistance Power The Assista Royal Series Now on Sale|
the endof March 2010, Bridgestone Cycle Co., Ltd. (president: Keiji Watanabe)
will release two new models
to the Assista Royal series with enhanced assistance power, the
Assista Lithium Royal and the A.C.L. Royal
Background behind the Development of the New Assista Royal Series
The Traffic Enforcement Act was revised in December 2008 to require the ratio of motor assistance to a maximum of 1:2 under human propulsion at speeds of less than 10kph for motor-assisted bicycles. This has reduced wobbling and fatigue when riding up hills and carrying heavy loads, which in turn has resulted in widening the age-groups of motor-assisted bicycle users and soaring growth.
This widening of user age-groups has led to an increasing demand for even more powerful assistance levels, so we reviewed all existing models and came up with a Royal Series that provides enhanced assistance power. We expect these two new models to contribute to further growth in the motor-assisted bicycle market.
Features of the New Assista Royal Series
1. Enhanced assistance power and improved assistance feeling.
These two models are equipped with Bridgestone's most powerful assistance levels (casual traveling level: 6 stars.)
This enables cycling up hills to be speedy and simple.
The assistance power has been enhanced and the feeling improved especially when first applying pressure to the pedals and when cycling up gentle hills.
This reduces the danger of wobbling when the feet first leave the ground and when riding up hills to provide even more stability than was available up until now.
Uses a lithium ion battery with a maximum capacity of 8.1Ah.
2. Equipped with durable parts to withstand the enhanced assistance power.
Equipped with an "Aluminum Housing Drive Unit" to both withstand high levels of assistance power and to suppress noise. This includes a "Built-in Three-Speed Hub" that improves structural endurance especially when cycling in third gear with heavy loads.
A "Reinforced Chain" with increased thickness has been used to improve endurance for tensile strength.
3. Equipped with "E-Mighty Road 4.5 Tires" that provide a light cycling experience and are durable against wearing.
Uses a new tread pattern to guarantee a longer life against wearing. The increased air pressure (4.5 barometric pressure) and fatter tires also reduce rolling resistance by 30% in comparison to conventional tires. The fat tires have also reduced the fear of punctures (rim-burst punctures.) The "Kuki Miharu-kun" high-pressure meter (4.5 barometric pressure) that notifies the user of decreased air pressure has been newly developed.
4. Modified Basket Shape and Saddle
The Assista Lithium Royal basket is lighter and designed in a stylish circular shape.
The saddle for the A.C.L. Royal has been improved. It uses a "Super Comfort Saddle III", which is produced with two layers of low-response material and urethane.
Favorable Sales Points
1. Equipped with the most recent "S.P.E.C. 3" (Shift Position Electric Control 3) technology to improve the tangibility of the assistance function. The newly-developed "S.P.E.C. 3 (Shift Position Electric Control 3) Assistance mode ensures" that all gear positions provide optimal assistance power. The assistance power is fully activated for all gear positions to provide powerful yet smooth assistance even when using low gears.
2. Equipped with the "Lithium Ion Battery 8.1Ah" for economic long-distance cycling.
(1)The use of an 8.1Ah lithium-ion battery enables a distance of up to 42km to be cycled with a single charge when in the "Auto-Eco Mode Plus" (normal cycling patterns.) Labels based on a measurement standard known as the Normal Cycling Pattern have been used up until now for possible traveling distances per charge, but as discrepancies occur with actual distances traveled in areas that contain many hills and inclines, the Bicycle Association of Japan have established a new standard, known as the Standard Pattern, that is also to be added numerically to new models from this year. (The traveling distance in the "Auto-Eco Mode Plus" mode is 133km with the Standard Pattern.)
(2) Equipped with a lithium-ion battery for which only the amount of power that has been consumed needs to be recharged.
(3) The use of the stand-type recharger means that it is less bothersome and only needs to be situated in place in the same way as a mobile telephone.
3. The assistance mode can be selected from the "Auto-Eco Mode Plus" in accordance with the cycling scenario.
(1) The use of the "Auto-Eco Mode Plus" enables the automatic assistance to be felt when pressing on the pedals, automatically controls the assistance power, and either provides increased assistance or saves battery power in accordance with the cycling conditions.
(2) The use of a "magnetostrictive torque sensor" enables light and easy pedaling when the power is switched off.
4. Equipped with a "White Flash W Power Battery Lamp" that uses
6. Other Features
Main Features of the Assista Lithium Royal and the A.C.L. Royal
Assista Lithium Royal: U-shaped frame for easy mounting and dismounting. Perfect for shopping. A.C.L. Royal: A stylish S-shaped frame. Perfect for commuting to work and school.
Estimated Traveling Distance Per Charge (same for both models)
3. Sales Area: Nationwide
4. Date of Release: Toward the end of March
5. Sales Target: 10,000 units (within one year of release)