|July 15, 2009|
Cross-Bike that Conforms to the New Standards
RealStream DX Now on Sale
July 20, Bridgestone Cycle Co., Ltd. (president: Keiji Watanabe) will
release on nationwide sale the motor-assisted RealStream DX that conforms
to the new standards and provides even further traveling distances
with the use of a lithium ion battery that boasts a large capacity
Motor-assisted bicycles have experienced intensive growth amongst housewives with small children in their 30s and people above 50 in the past few years. Although sales of motor-assisted bicycles have centered on their practicality, we began to release a series of models that exude a sense of fashion in recent years in the hope that we can cultivate demand amongst a younger target group of people in their 20s and 30s.
The high-function RealStream sports model was released on the market in August of last year targeting male users who felt that motor-assisted bicycles lacked in design. This became popular amongst men in the 30s through to the 50s age groups as a motor-assisted high-function sports bicycle for active men who enjoy cycling and who use bicycles for commuting to work, and sales enjoyed increased growth. However, users who wish to use their bicycles for long-distance touring expressed the need for a model equipped with a battery that would enable long-distance traveling, and that led to the release of the current DX version. With the release of this model we hope to expand the market for motor-assisted bicycles even further by targeting a wider range of potential users.
Features of the RealStream DX
1. Uses the New Assistance Standards
The revisions to the Road Traffic Regulations that were enacted last December allowed the assistance standards to provide a maximum manpower-verses-motor assistance ratio of 1:2 at a low speed of 10kph. This has greatly reduced the amount of power required to commence pedaling, ride up inclines or carry heavy goods at low speed. The RealStream DX conforms to these new standards.
2. Equipped with an 8.1Ah lithium ion battery to enable greater traveling distances.
(1) Large capacity of 8.1Ah for long-distance riding.
(2) Enables a maximum distance of 117km to be ridden on a single charge, which is twice the distance of conventional models (when in the Auto Eco mode.)
(3) It is possible to recharge only the amount of power that has been consumed to reduce recharging times.
(4) The use of the stand-type recharger means that it is less bothersome and only needs to be situated in place in the same way as a mobile telephone.
3. "Front Disc Brakes" with high braking performance used.
"The disc brakes" that are used for high-quality mountain bikes have been installed on the front wheel to match up with the sporty design. These provide high braking power and are perfectly suited to sports cycling.
4. Equipped with a wide range of new technology to enable optimal sports rides.
"The newly-developed S.P.E.C.8 Assisted Drive" and "Shift Position Sensor" provide optimal levels of assisted power in all gear positions.
(1)" S.P.E.C.8 (Shift Position Electric Control 8) Assisted Drive"
The mechanism included in conventional motor-assisted bicycles makes it difficult to get the most effective use of the assisted power when in the higher gears. The S.P.E.C.8 (Shift Position Electric Control 8) Assisted Drive, however, activates the optimal amount of assisted power for all gears (8 gears) to provide smooth and powerful assistance even in the higher gears.An aluminum housing drive unit has also been used to provide more durability and noise suppression than conventional bicycles.
(2) "Shift Position Sensor"
"The Shift Position Sensor" that enables the assistance levels to be set for each gear position.The gear position is identified in accordance with the amount of torque on the shift wire, and position information is transmitted to the drive unit.
(3) "Eight Built-in Gear Positions"
A wider gear range than the normal three gears and finely-tuned gear positions to enable the most suitable gear to be selected in accordance with road conditions.The gears are built into the cycle to minimize trouble when changing gears and to provide a more attractive form.It is also possible to change gears when the bicycle is stopped to ensure that restarts are always possible in the higher gears.
(4) "Auto Eco Mode Plus"
Equipped with "the Auto Eco Mode Plus", which only activates the power assistance when riding up hills and when starting and automatically turns it off when the bicycle reaches cruising speed. This not only saves battery power, it also allows the rider to experience both sports riding and power-assisted riding (long-distance rides up to a maximum of 117km possible.)
5. Characteristic Cross Bike Style Suitable for Adults
(1) "The cross bike style frame complete with front suspension" preferred by men consists of straight pipes to make it both sporty and extremely strong.
(2) The emphasis has been placed on the design in which the drive unit wire is imbedded into the frame together with the brake shift wires.
(3) "26 x 1.5HE" slick tires that are useful for cycling around town have been used to provide stable cycling.
6. Fitted with "the BAA (Bicycle Association Authorization) Mark"
This model conforms to the BAA (bicycle safety standards) enacted by the Bicycle Association.
7. Equipped with Many Other Practical and Useful Functions
(1) The sporty "Roundish Sports Saddle" for greater seating comfort.
(2) "Kahenshiki Handolu Sutemu" (Variable Handle Stem) that enables the height of the handlebars to be adjusted.
(3) Equipped with battery LED lamps, a battery lock and a wire key that operates two locks with a single key as standard.
(4) Special rear fender carrier racks and other items are also available as options.
RealStream DX (RS6L89)
Overview of the RealStream DX
1. Product Name: RealStream DX
2. Product Configuration and Price
3. Sales Area: Nationwide
4. Date of Release: July 20, 2009
5. Sales Target: 2,000 units (within one year of release)